Monday, November 17, 2008

Pope Leads Philosophy Students to the Hasidic "Wisdom" of Martin Buber

Martin Buber and the Struggle of Faith

I have no doubt that this testimonial reflects the zeitgeist in most nominally Catholic universities.


Michael Hallman said...

I find this very interesting. Only a cursory perusal of my blog would demonstrate that my Catholic faith is highly orthodox in every regard. But as the Holy Father demonstrates consistently, orthodox faith does not preclude engagement with other trains of thought. I am no syncretist, not in the least, but there are common struggles that men experience in the search for God, and it can at times be beneficial to examine the spiritual journeys of others in a way that can ultimately help us to better engage our own Catholic faith. That is what I have done here.

As for the zeitgeist in most nominally Catholic universities, my writings are typically not reflective of anything I am learning in the context of my official studies; in fact, this post in particular was inspired directly by the writings of our Holy Father. If the Pope is not orthodox for you, then perhaps it is you who need to examine your own faith and figure out why this offends you so much. Again, it is very clear that you have not so much as looked at my blog beyond this post, because my writing and my faith are highly orthodox. Sorry to so easily dismantle your zeitgeist theory, but it was rather silly to begin with.

Maurice Pinay said...

I have not commented on your faith or your writings beyond calling attention to the apparent fact that you have found value in the ideas of the Hasidic philosopher Martin Buber and that the pope pointed you in his direction.

It is true that Orthodox faith does not preclude consideration of other schools of thought, but charity dictates that if you open up a can of worms like Martin Buber in public, that you qualify it with some words of warning to the "little ones." Benedict rarely, if ever, does this, and following his lead, neither have you in this case.

Does it not concern you that a credulous Catholic or anyone else who has read your glowing piece on Martin Buber might then uncritically access his writings and be horribly led astray?

Also, I would point out that taking sides with Martin Buber and a fabled rabbi against the excesses of the enlightenment is rather like joining forces with Trotskyite Bosheviks like Bill Kristol against Communism. It appears that you have been misled and are passing on the misdirection to others.